I did it. I may still not be in the best physical shape ever, which is evident in how I look in these tight clothes, but I still finished. The looking good part will hopefully come later. I don't have the final results with all the split times but I know that I didn't come in last in my group. I finished with a time of about 1:49. I am grateful for the support of my beautiful and pregnant wife who woke up this morning at 4:00 with me to get to the race. She also helped/made me go to the gym so that I would be ready for the race. She supported me 100%, even when I needed to buy gear for the race. Without her, I would not have been able to do this. I am also grateful for my Mom and John who surprised me by being there when I came out of the water after the swim.

This is the swim we had to do to get to the starting line.

End of the 800 meter swim. Off to grab my bike.

Time to put the bike back and go running.

Just keep running, just keep running.

This was supposed to be a great picture of me finishing, but the guy asked for my timing chip and I bent down to take it off my ankle right as Rachel snapped the shot. Cant blame her for that one. Who ducks at the finish line?

Here is the one to make up for it.
This was a pretty big deal for me, more so than it probably seems. There were times after my accident and subsequent surgery that I was so depressed by the thought of never being able to be active again. This event is something that I have been working towards to show myself that I can do it. Sure the knee is irritated, but it made it through and hopefully will just get stronger. I already have my next tri picked out. I am going to do the Desert Grande Triathlon in Coolidge on November 7th. Its a little shorter, but I'm still excited about it. If anyone wants to join me, registration costs go up on the 19th of October. Till then it is only 55 dollars. Come on, you know you want to.
4 comments:
Congrats James, we're so proud of you! I'm sure that took a TON of work and training, and that sounds like a pretty decent time to complete it in! And definite props to Rachel for being so supportive, you're both pretty awesome =) Keep up the great work... if I were going to be in AZ in November I would totally do it with you!!
James you are a stud. We never had a doubt about you finishing. We love you and are very proud of your acomplishment.
Wow. That is something to be proud of. Way to go. I have always wanted to try a triathlon but I am so afraid of the running part. I would definitely have to train for that.
James that is SO exciting! That has got to feel so great for you to have accomplished that - that's awesome. Mike says you you are one sexy be-och lol :)
We are home from our honeymoon now - let's all go grab dinner and catch up sometime soon!!
Post a Comment